Saturday, April 7, 2007

can we just discuss...

the difficulties of eating out with my new found limitations....ok so picture this, last night after good Friday service Rene, Meesh, Ryan, Bones, Ross, Suz and I decide to go out to eat for some good chatter and a little grub for the tummy. So we decide to go to Sammy's Wood fire Pizza. Now I know your saying to yourself, "Nicci you can't eat wheat or gluten so why are you going to a pizza joint?" Well my friends never fear because I knew they had salads and other such lovely items to choose from. Now I thought this would be a good idea since everyone else wanted pizza and they also wanted my company. Ok so there we are sitting, chatting enjoying ourselves. Everyone orders and I decide upon the mahi mahi tacos I cant have fish and corn tortillas so Im set right?!? Well I inform the waiter that I can't have any dairy and that I am allergic to gluten and wheat and to make sure the cook knows this so that he doesn't accidentally give me the wrong things. The waiter agrees says no prob and all seems well. At least until the first round of food....now here comes the dinner and everyone has theirs accept me. Over comes the manager who leans in to tell me the waiter didn't understand what I meant by being allergic to gluten and that the cook had breaded my fish and so I would need to order something different. So I said ok no worries and that I would take the Kobe beef tacos instead. Well a few moments later arrives my new dinner choice. The plate is set in front of me and I look at it and turn to the manager and say, "these are corn tortillas right?" She assures me that they are and walks away. So I start eating my veggies and a moment later the manager returns stating, "I asked the cook and he wasn't sure so I am going to take these back and make sure you have corn tortillas." So a few more minutes go by and she returns yet again with a new plate. Turns out they were flour tortillas, so she apologizes and says dig in. So I go back to the veggies and then turn the taco over and look at it and what should be gushing out, CHEESE! Oh my gosh at this point. I was about to break down and cry. The entire table was almost finished with their meal and I am still waiting to take a bit of my damn taco. So yet again I call the waiter over, inform him that I cannot have cheese ( which i had said but who knows, lost in translation I suppose) and so he writes down all the things I cannot have and continue to insure no issues with my fourth go around and I continue to wait for my meal. Finally it comes, I eat and I am happy. But wait it doesn't stop there. The waiter feels so bad that he wanted to give us a dessert on the house. So he brings over their famous ice cream sundae. WELL freakin awesome you feel so bad that I had my food was messed up four times that you comp a dessert for the entire table that I cannot partake in, because hello I am lactose intolerant I can't have cheese so why in the hell could I have ice cream! UGH...I was over it. I didn't care I was happy everyone else enjoyed the ice cream. Then the bill came. 12 freakin bucks they charged me for my two tacos. I was so frustrated, so we talked to the waiter who then felt horrible that I couldn't have the ice cream and that I had such a rough night and so he comped the ice cream and my dinner. Man what a night, I hate feeling high maintenance and that couldn't have been a more high maintenance situation. Oh man guys it was something to behold I tell ya. But on the up side I did get to go to this funky little bar with the homeys afterwards and hear the trumpet....I love the trumpet.

No comments: