Friday, June 15, 2007

Time is short

I'm not sure how to write what I am feeling but for some reason I think if I write this down it will some how make things make more sense. I witnessed a 19 year old girl die today after a tragic car accident just outside of my work. She was involved in a head on collision with another vehicle and the front end of her car compacted her inside. I ran to check and see if I could help but when we checked for a pulse there was nothing. A few moments later a fire truck came and they worked on getting her out but it was as if they knew it was too late. They tried to revive her but she had already been gone for over fifteen minutes. It was surreal seeing this girl lay there with no life. There was a body but not life left in her. All I could do was think about her family and how they didn't know. She had no idea that it was going to end today. The pain her family must be feeling and that it all happened so suddenly. I prayed and cried on my drive home for so many reasons, but mainly I thought of how I just take things for granted and I think I have time. It made me wanna call everyone and do everything I had been meaning to do. Even after I got home and had discussed it with a few people it hadn't really sunk in. It wasn't til a little bit ago that it really started to take its toll. Sometimes there are things that we won't deal with or we won't do because we are too scared. We won't tell people things or try certain things cause we either think we have the time to or something, if not ourselves, holds us back from taking that step. We let go of passions, we forget about dreams, we miss the big picture or even the small one. We let the lame things over rule the most powerful moments we could experience and for what?
It makes me frustrated, frustrated at me, at others and I just want to say "What do you expect? What did you think was going to happen? Is this really how you want it to be? Are you gonna walk around with your tail between your legs cause your too damn scared to step it up?" There are things we need to take time out to do, relationships that need mending or maybe just expression of truth and love, whatever that may look like to you. I don't know. I just know that seeing that young vibrant girl laying there lifeless and knowing minutes before she was probably singing to some song on the radio thinking she had all the time in the world, changes things. I'm not going to forget what Tess looked like laying there on the pavement, and I hope I don't get stuck in this rut again.
And if I do...may I be found again and pulled from it.

No comments: