Sunday, February 11, 2007

welcome


Well I have started a blog of my time here in Leone figuring that it would be easier to write random thoughts of the day then to try and write a newsletter in which I compile all my experiences into one short email that will not annoy or bore those reading it. So here we are a new page that will contain my random spillings.

I have decided to start this page with Sundays thoughts, or reflections back on the last two weeks experiences. Inspired by my dear friend Justin Hane I will give it to you in a list.

1. when unplugging anything from a light socket here in be prepared to receive the shock of a life time as well as being in some what of a daze for the next three to four hours. (side note if you think that a surge protector should protect you, think again.)

2. men and boys alike enjoy stopping in the middle of town to relieve themselves.

3. as a international woman in Freetown freedom is a relative term

4. a State side accent isn't nearly as cool as the Brits and Aussies I have run into.

5. Adam and I have way too much free time.

6. The Lord often creates a need so He can fill it.

7. The Office has to be one of the best programs on television.

8. John Krasinski is my hero

9. Some Sierra Leonens often don't name their babies straight away in case they die soon after birth. This breaks my heart.

10. It is believed here in Sierra Leone that children born who do not appear "normal" (i.e clef palate or cerebral palsy) are cursed or demon possessed. They then are taken to the woods and left to die.

11. Dried prunes can grow mold that becomes liquefied.

12. IBS is not a good thing.

13. running over a dog here is no different then running over a frog in the US. I cried my eyes out when we ran one over the other day on the way to work. (Not on purpose but equally as sad)

14. I miss my bff and I don't care how gay that sounds to you Adam!

15. Teaching is a lot harder then it looks, I give props to those who do this full time. I truly wish I payed more attention in history.

16. Lactulose is not my friend at this point.

17. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

18. I'm finding I can laugh at myself a lot. And exactly how funny gtalk can truly be when your friend sends endless jokes and your response is delayed by five to ten minutes.

19. Gifts from the Lord can come in small, very small packages...

20. I give Glory to the Lord for his healing of those who we have so earnestly prayed for and brings such joy to my heart to hear those stories from afar.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicci your last name is SO appropriate...you have the gift of words of wisdom...and already you've been a very great gift from God in my life. Oh, and great blog!

Kelly said...

I love your photo and I too am a huge fan of The Office. Go figure... I can't wait to check in often and see how things are going with you there. I am praying for you Nicci and know that I am really proud of the work you are doing. The Lord works in surprising ways and you are one of them. Hey I missed telling you Happy Birthday in January, so Happy B-day friend! Have a great week.

Adam G. said...

Ha!! BFF is soooo gay!